Thursday, March 26, 2009

Mama's Spaghetti




Welcome to Foodie Friday! Stop by Michael’s at Designs by Gollum for some wonderful meals served up by some of your favorite bloggers. But first, I want to share with you a very special recipe that has been in my family for years. This is a family recipe, one that came from my great grandmother, Idabelle. It was passed down to my grandma, Buena, to my mom, who taught it to me.


Spaghetti. Anyone that eats my homemade spaghetti swears by it. My kids will tell you hands down it is their favorite dish I make. Even more of a testament.....they will choose this over a "Happy Meal" anyday. It is a secret family recipe, one that I am sharing with you.

(Kid Approved, even picky ones, as seen above. "Sister Sledge")


Ingredients:
1 lb. Ground Beef

chopped onion and bell pepper (I have to omit this because I have picky eaters)

1 tsp each- pepper, salt, garlic salt, garlic pepper (or fresh garlic is even better (what I use)...if using fresh minced garlic omit the garlic powder and salt. I use about 2 tbsp of miced, but we love garlic.)


1 & 1/2 tsp each Italian seasoning and oregano


2-3 heaping tbsp brown sugar


1 small can tomato sauce


1 small can tomato paste


1 small can of water (8 oz)

DIRECTIONS:


Brown ground beef with onions and bell pepper and drain

Add dry ingredients to beef and Stir. Then add liquid ingredients. Bring to a small bubbling boil.


Reduce heat to simmer for about 30 minutes. Stir every so often. I also put a lid on the pot so that it doesn't bubble and pop out onto the stove.

While sauce is cooking, prepare spaghetti according to box. Then prepare a dish by topping spaghetti noodles with red sauce. This is going to be the best red sauce you have EVER eaten. Ever. Enjoy! Please let me know how you like it! And don't tell momma that I shared. Smile.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leigh this sounds so good!!

I always have to make a batch and a half of potato salad or other things that have onion, the half batch gets no onion...I have a few picky eaters, too!

Kelly said...

Yummy! I'll have a big plateful now, please. Thanks for sharing!

xinex said...

This spaghetti really looks so good. I'm gonna have to try it. I am copying the recipe now. Thanks!...Christine

Deb said...

Hi Leigh! Sounds great, looks great! I think it's the brown sugar that's different from all the recipes I've tried. I must try it! Thanks! Deb

bj said...

One of my favorites...spaghetti !
Sounds great..

Anonymous said...

Oh I love food and this looks good!

Mari said...

I'm going to have to try this - my family just gets boughten!

Becky said...

Is it bad of me to be wanting Mama's spaghetti at 9:47 p.m.? Shame on me!

susan said...

Never have tried the brown sugar--maybe that's the secret. Love that smiling face!

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

The sugar sounds interesting. Just enough to counter some of the acidity in the tomatoes. I will def try. Better than a Happy Meal? Now THAT is good! :-) Thanks for sharing, Barb

Nadine said...

Looks yummy.

Chandy said...

Leigh, I will definitely take this recipe and will help you keep it going. I'll make it soon and let you know!

I have something for you in my FF post. And love the new look!

Anonymous said...

It looks really good but my guys will only eat Prego. Sigh.

Rattlebridge Farm said...

I love a great spaghetti recipe! This is wonderful. Is that a picture of your picky eater? She's adorable. I've still got one at home--he won't eat anything green. :-)

Anonymous said...

I love trying dif spag.recipes.this one is next.Thank you soooooooo much...Ann

Jewel Sauls said...

I understand about the picky eaters! I have one daughter who won't eat onions (if she can see them) and one that won't eat green peppers. But they would love the rest. It sound right up our alley. :D Jewel

Cass @ That Old House said...

Ummm... looks great, and simple, too -- always a priority! Love the touch of sugar to cut the acidity of the tomatoes and round out the flavor -- great recipe.
Thanks
!
Cass

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Happy Foodie Friday! Have a great weekend ~ Susan

jeanne said...

Well, you are sharing your secret sauce and it sounds delicious and EASY. I'll take your kids word for it. BIG smile.

Hugs...Jeanne

Wanda said...

Man I LOVE Spaghetti. It is one of our favorite meals.

Maryrose said...

Hi Leigh,
I'll take a helping of that great looking spaghetti onions and all. It looks terrific. I will be trying your recipe soon.
Cheers,
Maryrose

j said...

I believe in sweetening the pot too but I add grape jelly. I am going to try the brown sugar sometimes though. I ADORE brown sugar!!

Sweet Caroline said...

I thought my spaghetti was good! The $1.00 jars at Walmart just won't be the same! This is awesome! I completely will make this for my kids. You are the BEST.

Unknown said...

I can't wait to try this amazing sauce! That brown sugar caused my ears to perk right up and now you have my full attention! Thanks for sharing your family recipe.

Blessings - Debbie