Thursday, January 29, 2009

Husband's Delight...The Dish that Caught Big Daddy


The year was 1982, and I was 11 years old in my sixth grade year at SM elementary school. I was told that the sixth grade had gotten a new student from out of state. He was in another classroom, Mrs. Lundy’s room. As I peeked into the window on the door to see the new student, I spotted him right away. He was a cute boy with brown hair and warm green eyes. His name was "TB"! He was my first real crush. I carried a crush throughout my middle and high school years with no reciprocation from this TB. I believe I set the bar for stalking, driving, or walking past his house, just to catch a glimpse of him-in hopes that he would notice me. There was just “something” about him I was drawn to, without ever having a conversation with him. Every night as I lie in bed, I would pray to God, “please let me marry TB. Please let him even know who I am”.
I was certain after high school graduation our paths would never cross again, my chances were over. I had heard he had gone to Auburn and I was still in Birmingham leading my own life. Fast Forward to November 1993, I was out with some friends one night when I saw him, literally, across a crowded room-TB! After all these years. I mentioned to a friend there, the torch I had carried for him almost my entire life. Much to my disbelief, she went and told him right then and there. He came over to me, and we had our first conversation in the 11 years of imaging that very moment. I cannot even recall what he said-I think I was in a state of shock but we did manage to talk the rest of the evening. Then he asked me for a ride home. He was so sweet and kind, just as I had imagined, he was such a gentleman.There was just something that I think the Lord had put into my heart on that day in 1982 when I first saw him. I always knew that he was the one.
Motto of the story, God has a plan for all of us; it is in His own time. He knows what is best; I am a firm believer in that. Shortly after that ride home, Tom called me and asked me out to supper at Red Lobster. On our second date, I cooked this meal for him, which my mom taught me. The best way into a man’s heart is his stomach, so I have heard; I was determined to keep this more mature T B, who I call "Big Daddy" for myself. It worked, we married in 1997. He is such a wonderful father to our three children and the most terrific and supportive husband. I still feed him well-and I still have the biggest crush on him. I am so blessed.

Husband’s Delight

1 lb. ground beef
5 scallions, chopped
1 clove garlic
½ cup grated cheddar (or mozzarella)
1 tsp sugar
1 small pkg. cream cheese
Pepper to taste
2 cans tomato sauce
1, 8oz. pkg. egg noodles
1 carton sour cream

Brown beef and drain; add pressed garlic, pepper, sugar and tomato sauce. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. Cook noodles according to package and drain. Finely chop tops and bottoms of scallions; mix with cream cheese and sour cream. Layer in this order: noodles, meat sauce, cream cheese/sour cream mixture and grated cheese in a 2 quart baking dish, ending with grated cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes to heat thoroughly. Best mixed the day before. Freezes well. Serves 8 (with seconds). This is a very rich and filling dish. Delicious! My kids love this dish too.

2 comments:

Mari said...

I love your story! What a happy ending. The recipe looks like one that would make my hubby happy too. Thanks!

Sandy said...

That's an amazing story...so sweet. I loved hearing it. I wish I had a plate of that dish right now.