Friday, March 6, 2009

Shrimp & Grits, Southern Style


I can clearly recall the first time I tried grits. Ya know why.....because it wasn't to terribly long ago. As a child, I was extremely picky. My mother had quite the time with me, trying to convince me to try certain foods. Grits was one of them. And I am a southerner. I know, it's almost a sin. But, oh, how times change. It was Chef Bob who served me up my first plate of grits, Parmesan cheese grits to be specific. An honest to goodness chef, how could I go wrong. The only wrong in that bowl was my new found love for the grit. I am in love with grits. I am a true GRIT girl. My southern soul is now complete. Thanks to you, Chef Bob!
What pairs more passionately with grits, besides a southern girl? Answer-A shrimp.
A shrimp also loves a bed of ground corn with a passion that can only be understood from a spoonful of some southern love. I hope you enjoy this recipe.
PS- What goes around, comes around... I now struggle with my own daughter at mealtime. Dear, Mom, forgive me. I am sorry. I know you struggled. Payback is fierce.

And now, onto the love story that is Shrimp & Grits:


Shrimp And Grits
2 pounds fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
¼ c melted butter
2 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T lemon juice
1 t Old Bay seasoning
1 t pepper
1 garlic clove
1 t Cajun seasoning
1 tsp hot sauce
Combine ingredients, pour over shrimp (use a gallon Ziploc bag) toss and coat. Arrange on a large shallow pan. Bake 350 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes.

Have Mercy-GARLIC CHEESE GRITS
5 CUPS MILK
1 CUP QUICK COOKING GRITS
1 ROLL GARLIC CHEESE (BRUNO'S)
1 8 OZ. CREAM CHEESE
SALT TO TASTE


Bring milk to a boil, add grits and cook 5 min. or till thick. ADD cheeses and stir till melted. Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Derek said...

Shrimp and grits is one of our favorite dishes! Thanks for sharing this!