Thursday, April 2, 2009

Summer Strawberry Salad


Today is Foodie Friday! It is hosted by Designs by Gollum. Be sure to go by and see all of the participants of this most Tasty day of the week!

With this being strawberry season, this is a great recipe to use for all those berries you might be bringing home, like I am. It is also a great dish to think of serving at your Easter Gathering in just a couple weeks.

Last summer my mother's cousin Beckie came into town for a overnight visit. The following day they spent at a quilting show, where my cousin Beckie had 3 quilts appraised that had been in her family, dating back to the late 1800's and early 1900's. It was a fun and exciting day, to find out some history of the quilts.
After their day, mom prepared a nice lunch, including this salad. I had the opportunity to try this salad. You will find, as I did this is something different, it will immediately bring you to a summer day, at the beach or lake, breeze in your hair eating a light fruity fresh treat. I hope you will enjoy it as much as all of us did. This dressing really makes this salad the tropical treat that it is.

Summer Strawberry Salad

Ingredients:
6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
2 cups cubed fresh pineapple
1 banana sliced
handful of fresh picked blueberries
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup cream of coconut* (a little more if you prefer)
2Tbsp lemon juice
1Tbsp yellow mustard
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (optional)

Preparation:

1. In a 4-quart bowl toss together romaine,strawberries, pineapple, banana and blueberries. Salad may be assembled and refrigerated, cover tightly-up to one hour ahead (If doing this-add banana just before serving)
2. for dressing, in a small bowl whisk together water, cream of coconut, lemon juice,mustard, and ginger. Cover and refrigerate the dressing. To serve, toss the greens and fruit mixture with the dressing to coat. Sprinkle with almonds.
Makes 6-8 servings
*Note-look for cream of coconut with the drink mixers in supermarkets, under brands such as coco Lopez.

25 comments:

Kristen said...

Such a pretty salad ~ and the recipe looks great too! It does remind me of summer days :)

Rattlebridge Farm said...

This looks fresh and delicious. Dr. Gollum and I were just talking about planting strawberries. This would make a wonderful dish for Easter weekend. Thanks!

susan said...

i bet the mustard is the"kicker" in that! I have never done a salad like this, but it does sound like one we'd like at my house. Thanks! I love it in the compote!

Martha said...

I love strawberry salad but your version is over the top! Love the coconut!

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Leigh, Such a pretty salad ~ I adore the combination of flavors (and the colors!)

Thank you for sharing this with us, this is going directly to my TO MAKE list. xo~m.

P.S. Love your header!!

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

I love the of this salad. Our family loves strawberries. I go strawberry picking every summer in about late June. The field I go to has the best strawberries ever. So, I am excited to try this recipe when that time arrives. You have a beautiful blog!

Nancy Jane said...

This looks so refreshing. I have some beautiful romaine in the fridge. Will have to scout out some fresh fruit tomorrow! Nancy

Becky said...

I've been wanting a new summer salad recipe. YIPPEE.....now I have one.

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

I love having new salad recipes because I love salad. Yours is so pretty and thanks for sharing the recipe.

bj said...

I love strawberries any way they are fixed...and this salad sounds and looks just fabulous..

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Leigh, not only is this pretty, but it looks delicious! Love all the fresh fruit! And the dressing sounds good, too. Will definitely try this!

Happy Foodie Friday...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi! Not only is your salad pretty it sound delicious! Thanks for the recipe!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Foley said...

This sounds delicious..I do one with baby spinach and strawberries in the summer..this is one I will definitely try!

Chandy said...

I love how it's so pretty and delicious looking at the same time! I have a similar cake and bowl set. Great minds think alike!

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

I adore this time of year when strawberries are in season. We're staring to get the Calif. berries. It puts me in the mood for dishes just like this Summer Salad.
My question...can I use coconut milk, if I can't find the milk you listed?

Sweet wishes,
Sara

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

P.S. Gorgeous Banner!!

Sweet wishes,
Sara

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Wow, Leigh! This looks delicious!

Amy said...

What a unique salad. It looks wonderful!

amy@maisonbelle

Anonymous said...

Leigh,this looks so refreshing and delicious.As you know it's beginning to get hot.All we eat in the spring and summer is sandwiches and salads.I am always looking for new recipes.This is prefect.thank you...ann

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

I love your header...gorgeous!!! The strawberry salad looks so fresh and yummy. Love all the unique ingredients. Thanks for sharing this with all of us!!!
XOXO
Cathy

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

I love finding different recipes using strawberries. The perfect dish for a summer's day!! So pretty!

Suzy said...

This looks and sounds delicious. I love trying different fruit salads and the dressing on this one is unique! Beautiful post.

Kathleen said...

Leigh, that looks so good. 3 more months till strawberry season here! Can't wait to go pick..
Have a great weekend!

imjacobsmom said...

This looks and sounds like a very refreshing salad. This is a keeper. Thanks for sharing! ~ Robyn

Becky said...

Hey Leigh;

Stop by and enter my spring giveaway!