Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Southern Staples-Kiss my Grits

Here in the south there are some things that just define the culture. Some of those being the humidity (take note, southern women don't sweat, we "glisten"), the dialect (hun-neh and pah-dun, included), and especially important, the food. And be quite certain there "ain't" no one that can serve it up like someone's momma or grandmomma.

Those of you that were not lucky enough to be born in the south can cook like one, with the proper instructions, mind you. Today we are going to examine some of those essential and defining southern dishes. Pretty soon, you will be serving up a slice of cornbread and sweet tea like a southern belle. Ok, almost....we still need to work on that drawl. In the meantime....the dishes. Every Tuesday I will introduce you to the fine art of southern cuisine.

"Kiss My Grits"

If southerners know one thing, it's grits. And when prepared properly, they are so good.....good enough to kiss and love. And there aren't just for breakfast anymore. We southern cooks have taken a cue from our Italian cook friends that use polenta, now grits are served anytime of the day. Just pu-leez don't add sug-ah! That truly is one of the cardinal sins. And if it isn't, well then it certainly should be.

Kiss My Grits

5 cups whole milk
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cup quick cooking grits
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated (2 C)
1 tsp hot pepper sauce (umm, hmm)
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/8 tsp hot paprika

Bring milk to a boil, add grits and seasonings and cheese and cook 5 min. or till thick. ADD cheeses and stir till melted. Pay some time to your grits. Give them love. You will not want them to be to pasty, like joint compound. This is not a happy grit. You want them to be creamy and smooth. It takes skill, technique....but in time, you will have it mastered. Enjoy!!

Next week, Sweet Tea!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Leigh, Uhhnfourtunatlee I had to leave the sutthen region when I was 18, but I dooo Luve good cookin'. Thank you for this special edition to your already beeutifuhl blog.I cait wait four footure instahlments. (Did I get the drawl right?)

Chandy said...

I'll have to borrow this recipe, Leigh. The hubs love himself some grits! ;-)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Leigh, I'm a grit lover from the word go. Love, love, love my grits! My favorite is baked cheese grits with garlic cheese. We had it with all sorts of meals, and Mama had a great recipe. I need to find it. I don't cook very often anymore, but that's one thing I dearly, dearly love. You've inspired me to cook it. I'll try your recipe, too! Thanks for sharing...

XO,

Sheila :-)

"J" said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh how I love grits!!!!!! =) I'm a southern girl alllllllllllllllll the way!!!!!!!

Laura said...

Amen on not adding sugar! Why in the world would you ruin a perfectly good batch of grits - for shame!

Lianne said...

I'm so glad you posted this. I can't cook good grits to save my life! Thanks!