Thursday, August 20, 2009

Foodie Friday-Celebration Supper, Southern Style!

For my birthday last week my mother asked where I wanted to go out to eat to celebrate. "Out? Surely you Jest! I want a home cooked meal. I don't want to go out. Will you please do that, make me supper-or things could get ugly!?"
Ok, the last part I didn't say....but my mom did oblige me with my request for some country cooking.
Below is the pictures of her food, plus many of the recipes. I will share her recipe for cornbread, a recipe that has been in the family for many generations on Tuesday's Southern Staples, so be sure to come back. If you want to know how to make real authentic southern cornbread....I have the recipe for you! "Ain't nothing like it!".
Enjoy!

COUNTRY FRIED CHICKEN

What's fixed when the preacher is comin fer dinner? Fried chicken.
What's good, hot, cold or 2 days old? Fried chicken.
What's the most popular at family reunions, church socials or dinner on the grounds? Fried chicken. So here's the country way of fryin' it.
This recipe is for 2 chickens and it can be adjusted to suit the amount.
Cut chicken into pieces for frying and wash well, roll in mixture of 2 cups of lour, 4 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Put skillet on, put in about 1/2 inch of fat and get it hot. Place chicken in and fry until brown, turning often. Then reduce heat, cover well and cook about 25 minutes until tender.
The leavings are mighty good to make white soup (white milk) gravy.


Momma's Cornbread- A fourth generation family recipe.
Come back Tuesday for Southern Staples edition for the recipe. It's bonified southern.





Fresh Sliced Tomatoes with Feta and Herbs, drizzled with Olive Oil


Garden Fresh Corn on the Cob


Fresh Black Eyed Peas

Black eyed peas are often called crowder peas and cow peas. Cow peas are actually black eyed peas but crowder peas are a similar but different pea. You could substitute crowder peas in this recipe if you like. A note of interest: black eyed peas are eaten by Southerners on New Years Day. It is a tradition and is suppose to bring good luck for the New Year

Ingredients
* 2 1/2 cups black eyed peas
* 8 cups water
* 1/2 tablespoon salt
* 1/4 tablespoon black pepper
* 1 medium size onion (whole)
* 1 slice bacon (un-cooked)
* 1/4 tsp garlic powder
* 1/4 tsp vinegar


Directions
Place all ingredients in a large cooking pot on stove top burner on medium heat. Cook 40 minutes or until peas are tender. Add additional water if needed to keep peas covered. If peas are dry they will burn quickly and be inedible.
4 servings

Momma's Potatoes Au Gratin


Fresh Blueberry "Salad"
Ingredients:
1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple in juice
2 packages (3 ounces each) blackberry or black raspberry Jello
3 cups boiling water
1 can (15 ounces) blueberries, drained
8 ounces sour cream (1 cup)
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
chopped nuts
Preparation:
Blueberry Jello Salad Directions
Drain pineapple; reserve juice. Dissolve Jello in boiling water; stir in reserved pineapple juice. Chill until slightly set, about the consistency of unbeaten egg white. Stir in pineapple and blueberries. Pour into a 9 1/2 x 6 x 2-inch pan; chill until firm. Combine sour cream, cream cheese, and sugar; mix well until smooth and well blended. Spread over blueberry Jello salad and top with chopped pecans or walnuts.
Blueberry Jello gelatin salad serves 6 to 8.

Double Chocolate Brownies
6 ounces good quality bittersweet chocolate, plus 6 ounces
3 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons water
2 eggs
3/4 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped (optional)
Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a medium saucepan, combine 6 ounces chocolate with butter, sugar, and water. Cook over low heat, stirring, until melted. Set aside to cool a bit. Break up the remaining chocolate and stir into melted chocolate mixture. Whisk in eggs, flour, and salt. Add walnuts if desired. Batter will be thick and lumpy. Spray a 9-inch square pan with non-stick spray and scrape batter into pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Set on rack to cool. Garnish with powdered sugar.
--------------------------

As you can see, it was a wonderful birthday! I got all I could ever ask for.
There is nothing like Momma's home cooking.
I must admit, that these are just the recipes, a good heaping of LOVE needs to be added to each recipe for it to taste just right. For without some LOVE added to your food....its just food, LOVE makes it Good Eatin'!

Thanks Mom! I love you!

Gollum's Foodie Friday, our gracious host for Foodie Friday. Thank you to our host!

13 comments:

Lori E said...

Oh my, my, my. Please tell Momma that I am up for adoption as my parents are gone.
I am a good daughter and my birthday is in October so she has some time to prepare.
Thanks Sis, good post.

xinex said...

Yummy! Your mama must really love you so much! Belated Happy Birthday, Leigh!...Christine

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Happy birthday!!! What a great meal ;).

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Lordy, this looks amazing! I'm afraid that I gave up frying chickens ages ago because of the mess - your Mama loves you! No Doubt!

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

This all looks wonderful.

It also reminds me I need to pick up a small chicken and pan fry. J usually deep fries chicken, outside. But we were just talking, the other day, about frying a chicken in our old iron skillet and making gravy.

Shellbelle said...

Oh, me too, me too! My birthday is in July.

Know when else is a good time for fried chicken? Road trips! As a child we would travel almost every summer from California back to Georgia to visit kin folks. Mom always made a ton, literally, a ton of fried chicken, potato salad and boiled eggs to pack in the cooler for the ride.

I still do this whenever I hit the road. Aren't mom's just the best?

Anita@Theycallmejammi said...

Happy belated birthday. Now this is a true Southern feast and fit for any special occassion. It's only 9am but I'm getting hungry just looking at this layout..too bad your post doesn't have smellivision.

Ashley @ AshleysBusy said...

Yes! Is there anything better than fried chicken? I never make it at home, always drive over to Bojangles, lol. Yum, and I love blackeyed peas. My Mamaw puts a hamhock in hers. Now my mouth is watering.

jennypilgrim said...

Thanks for the recipes!!! I can't wait to see your au gratin potatoes recipe too! They look delicious!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I think she thoroughly spoiled you :-). It all looks terrific. I hope you had a wonderful day.

Mary Bergfeld said...

I think she's thoroughly spoiled you :-). It all looks fabulous. I hope you had a great day. Happy Birthday!

"J" said...

First off - I need to start off by saying HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY!!!!! I hope you had a WONDERFUL day!!!!! =)

Your mom's cooking looks soooooooooooooo good!!!!! WOW!!!! Will you ask her if she will come to Texas in April and cook me a home-cooked meal?!?!? lol

Never mind on her coming to Texas - just tell her I'm coming to her house!!!! I don't want to put her out or anything!!! LOL

WONDERFUL!!!!
I will be back on Tuesday!!!!

Keetha Broyles said...

yum yum yum!!! And I KNOW why you invited me!!! I see those back eyed peas in there!