Thursday, September 17, 2009

Aunt Lillians Prized Carrot Cake

As a child, I always enjoyed visiting with my Grandfather's sisters, Lillian and Preston. Lillian and Preston lived together in the most quaint of cottage homes I had ever seen. They also had much of a green thumb, their tiny home was amass with blooming flowers and birds visiting heavy feeders. Before I was known in this world, Preston's husband had passed and she never had children, to her heartbreak. Lillian was engaged  to a man, before he broke her heart, calling off the engagment. She never loved again.  These sad circumstances in love, later led to the sisters moving in together up until they passed when I was in my twenties. For me, never knowing my grandfather, they were my only link to his past and his family. Even as a very young girl, I would beg them, literally, to tell me stories about their lives. They had a way of telling, the gift really, much like my idol Ms. Katheryn Tucker Windham, with that drawl of a true southern belle, reeling you in. Their story telling was an artform. I would hang on their every word,  as I gobbled up some delicious dessert that they fed me while they spoke. When they passed, I was left with many wonderful memories they had passed to me, that and recipes of delicious desserts, like Aunt Lillian's Carrot Cake.


Aunt Lillian's Prized Carrot Cake

Ingredients:
2 C self rising flour
2 c sugar
1 1/2 c wesson oil or corn oil
4 eggs, beaten
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp cinnamon
3 c shredded carrots (do NOT buy preshredded carrots. It will NOT work, this was proven the hard way. Please, grate, grate, grate and do it with love. It will taste better!)


Frosting or Filling:
1 stick margarine
1 small package cream cheese
1/2 c chopped pecans
1 box confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Mix sugar, oil and beaten eggs. Blend in flous and cinnamon that has been sifted together. Add carrots and vanilla. Beat well. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Makes 2 layers.
FROSTING: Bring margarine and cream cheese to room temperature. Cream together. Add remaining ingredients and spread on cooled cake.

This is my Foodie Friday contribution this week. The gracious Gollum is our host. To see more great recipes, please visit Designs by Gollum, Foodie Friday participants by clicking here.

10 comments:

Rattlebridge Farm said...

This is flat-out delicious. And I loved your story. I'm making this cake for Thanksgiving.

Bama Belle said...

This is Joe's favorite! He always has me bake him one on his b'day! I will have to try this recipe. The children all have the swine flu so I have been taken out of commission for a while, I will get in touch soon!

Poppedijne said...

My daughter loves carrotcake! I will have to make this for her when she returns for New York!! Can you tell me what a box of confectionors sugar weights??

Joy Tilton said...

This is a keeper, thanks so much for sharing!

bj said...

Ummm...I nearly always have a Carrot Cake at holidays...I will give your great sounding recipe a try this Thanksgiving..
Thanks!!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

So sweet. My sister and I have vowed to live together if/when we find ourselves widows.

As for the carrot cake... thanks so much for sharing this Prize recipe!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a lovely cake. I love recipes that come with stories attached to them. This was a wonderful post. I hope you are having a great day.

Gwen said...

The butter with cream cheese is totally new to me! I will have to try this. (in memory of Lillian and Preston of course)

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Your cake looks yummy and the recipe is almost the same one I have used for years. It's the best!
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

SnoWhite said...

yummy! everyone loves a good carrot cake (and I try to convince myself it's okay to have 2 pieces... I'm eating my veggies, right?!?!).