Monday, August 15, 2011

Leighta Fudd's Apple Cake

Last weekend I took a roadtrip. Apples, peaches, nectarines, pears and grapes are all in season at currently at Crow Mountain Orchard. I posted more about my trip on my personal blog, Tales from Bloggeritaville. You can read about my trip to the orchard here.

I came home with a large bag of sweet apples and a large container of grapes...grapes so sweet my daughter swore it was blue berries! LOL




I wanted to make something special for my children's after school snack and decided to make my apple cake. It is a recipe that is very similar to the Tastefully Simple product, Nana's Apple Cake. So....why not? I named my recipe after my nickname in my group of friends....
Leighta Fudd's Apple Cake

1/2 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg or mace
1 tsp. ginger
6 cups peeled, diced tart apples

Directions:

Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients and add to mixture.

 

Stir in apples. Spoon into greased 11 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.


I drizzled some caramel onto a plate and then placed the cake atop the caramel.


Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-licious!!!!!!!!!!


Crow Mountain Orchard
6236 County Road 39
Fackler, AL 35746-5010
(256) 437-9254

256-437-9254
Open 7 days a week
8:00 to 5:00
call for available fruits

No comments: