Sunday, January 27, 2008

Bama's Reel 'em in Chicken Alfredo

(Picture by Wikipedia)

My son, Bama, is quite a cook. Aside from his sports, he can whip up a homemade fettuccine alfredo like no one's business. Being the sorry mom that I am, I have refused to make it for him his whole life because I have to constantly stir for half an hour, only to see the dish in another half hour on my thighs. I always said, if you want it, then we'll go out.

It's so bad for you. I NEVER order it. Bama one day decided to use this recipe and make his own Fettuccine Alfredo for the family supper one night. It's become his signature dish at home. The other kids ask, "can Bama cook tonight?" (knowing full well he will make this). It's a wonderful meal (fattening as I'll get out) but Bama's version is the best tasting I have ever had. I am not just saying this. He also adds marinated, grilled or blackened chicken to his dish.
One day, he'll make a fine husband, and this will be the dish that secures the deal.....in the meantime, I have a wonderful in house cook!

Fettuccine Alfredo
Very easy, rich, and creamy. Add sliced, grilledchicken or grilled shrimp, if desired.
Prep. Time: 0:35 Serves: 4-6

1/2 cup real butter
1 pint (2 cups / 16 fl. oz.) heavy whipping cream
1 tsp. garlic powder
salt and pepper - to taste
1 dash cayenne pepper
2/3 cup fresh grated Parmesan OR Romano cheese
1 lb. box fettuccine noodles - prepared as directed
chopped fresh parsley - for garnish, optional

-In a 2-quart saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter; add cream, garlic powder, and salt and peppers; simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring constantly, until thick.-Remove sauce from heat and stir in cheese. Do not heat sauce after cheese has been added.-Serve sauce over hot fettuccine noodles and sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
Notes: Though you can’t rush this sauce, if it seems to be taking too long to thicken, stir in up to 1/4 cup cream cheese. Make sure your Parmesan or Romano is grated and not shredded; it won't melt properly if shredded. Do not use Kraft® Grated Parmesan in the canister; your Alfredo won't taste right. Either grate your own or buy the stuff from the deli.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed that he can do this! I was never interested in cooking until the past year or so. I guess I am a late-bloomer! Kudos to you!

Anonymous said...

That is great! I make it too...and have come up with a variation he might like. Make the sauce, but a little thicker than you normally would. Buy one of those cans of pizza dough out of the case with the cookie dough. Press it out and pre-bake for about 7 minutes, rub the crust with garlic herb butter if you have it then top with the alfredo sauce. I top with shredded chicken and cheese (mexican melting is perfect--very buttery).

I like mine with spinach and mushrooms instead of chicken but you could use what you like...this has been a big hit at my house.