Friday, October 12, 2007

Chili & Cornbread- Tailgating

Nothing says fall-or football, than a big pot of chili. Serve it by the bowl with some cornbread (My aunt Wanda's recipe follows) or on burgers, hot dogs or nachos. Anyway you serve it up, it's so good. With the weather getting cooler and fall like thing weekend, I will bet this will hit the spot!



Leigh's Chili Recipe


INGREDIENTS:
2 pounds lean ground beef, or cubed lean stew beef
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1 (16 oz) can stewed tomatoes , optional (I have to hide this by running it through the blender)
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or more (I use more)
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
PREPARATION:
Brown beef in a large skillet; drain well. Combine with remaining ingredients in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours. If you like beans in your chili, add a can of (drained) pinto beans or kidney beans. My family does not allow beans. Serves 4 to 6.

Company Cornbread

My Aunt Wanda gave me this recipe. It's not my mom’s homemade iron skillet cornbread that her grandmother taught her to make as a little girl-but it's a close runner up. It is so tasty and so easy. It is great with soups. Sometimes I like to add some cheddar cheese and jalapenos to the recipe. Maybe even some grated onion. Umm, umm. We like things hot in my house.

Ingredients:
2Cup self rising CORN MEAL
6 eggs
2 tsp salt
1 can creamed corn
2 tsp. baking powder
16 oz. sour cream
1 Cup oil

Preparation:
Mix all of the above and pour into a 9x13 Pam (or that iron skillet!). Bake at 400 degrees until done (about 15-25 minutes) Check for it to be golden brown. This recipe can be halved and baked in an 8x8 pan. Yum!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am so shocked and thrilled to find a recipe w/ out the beans!!! i hate all beans except green beans!!!! LOVE YA!!! BTW, i am close friends w/ for the love, a mommas mantra, and we live in Bham too!-katfish

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Glad to meet you. I love the momma's, for the love blog. It reminds me of my own little tribe of Indians. I don't like beans either-except soy beans, roasted.