Sunday, January 11, 2009

Easy French Onion Soup


Today was freezing outside. The cold bit my bones deep when I was up on the bluff of the mountain earlier visiting my friend Judy's store, Sisters Two. I came home looking for something to warm my bones. I made to big pots of soup...Chili for the men, who prefer something to "stick to their ribs" and for me, French Onion Soup. I basically went by the recipe below, but modified it using what cheese I had on hand (Swiss) and omitting the bread (WAH!) to go along with this no carb "moderation program" that I have reduced myself to. I just hope it will actually "reduce myself". The soup was delicious! The secret is the use of Sherry (if you do not like alcohol, know that the alcohol cooks out yet leaves a fabulous flavour!)


Easy French Onion Soup
Ingredients:
3 tablespoons butter
4 cups thinly sliced onions, about 4 to 5 medium onions
4 cans condensed beef broth (10 1/2 ounces each)
1 &1/2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
4 slices French bread, 1 inch thick
4 tablespoons cup shredded Gruyere cheese
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup of sherry to deglaze

Preparation:
Directions for easy French onion soup In a large skillet over medium low heat, melt butter. Saute onion until golden in color, about 8 minutes. De-glaze the pan using the sherry. Be sure and scrape the bottom of the pan to pull up those delicious bits of brown on the bottom. In a medium saucepan, combine beef broth and sautéed onion; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes. Meanwhile, toast French bread on both sides under broiler; sprinkle each slice evenly with cheeses; broil just until cheese is bubbly.
Pour French onion soup into 4 individual soup bowls; float a slice of toasted French bread, cheese side up, on each bowl of soup. Enjoy!

No comments: