Monday, March 2, 2009

Apple Soup



The day my wonderful sister in law married my brother was a special one. I was so excited to be having her as a sister. The morning of the wedding, G had her bridesmaids over for brunch. It was a delicious meal, prepared by her aunt who is a terrific cook. She served this soup, which I was a bit sceptical about. “Apple Soup?”, I wondered. I was so surprised at the flavor of this soup. I don’t know what I expected, but this was not it. I ate 2 big bowls of it. You will be amazed too. This soup is perfect in October-as it is the height of apple season. But really, anytime is a great time to eat apple soup!

APPLE SOUP
4-5 Tbsp butter
3 C apple juice
4-5 onions, thinly sliced
½ C heavy cream
4-5 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced ¼ C flour
¼ C water or vegetable broth sea salt and white pepper to taste
Sachet made of :3-4 stems parsley, 2 whole cloves, 1 clove garlic in a cheesecloth
Very thin apple slices and bread croutons for garnish

Melt butter in soup pot and cook onions until golden brown. Add diced apples and cook until faintly tender. Add four, stir well. Cook on medium heat for 1 minute. Add the broth in portions, working out lumps with a whisk after each addition. Add the juice and sachet, simmer for 30-45 minutes, stirring and skimming as needed. Discard the sachet and strain the soup, reserving the liquid. Puree solids and return them to the liquid pot. Add sufficient liquid to achieve soup consistency. Add cream and blend well. Return to simmer and season with salt and pepper. Garnish before serving.

No comments: