Sunday, May 24, 2009

Marinated Greek Shrimp



A birthday celebration for mine and Big Daddy's old school chum, Jeff S., led me to this delicious recipe. This is an authentic greek dish, that is every bit of delicious and light. It was served to us with sliced french bread and 5 grain bread for dipping into the marinade. You will not want to waste a single drop of this dish!

Marinated Shrimp Salad

MARINADE
3 bay leaves
1 1/2 cups wine vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 cups olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning

Three days before serving this dish, combine all marinade ingredients in a large jar and refrigerate.

3 pounds shrimp, cooked, peeled and deveined
2 large red onions, thinly sliced

On the second day, combine gently the shrimp and onions. Pour marinade over top; refrigerate. To serve the following day, discard bay leaves, spoon salad into serving platter, using a slotted spoon to drain off excess marinade. I prefer to serve, though, in a bowl with a spoon so that the marinade can be dipped into. "Sop" up with bread. Tell me you love me. You will.

4 comments:

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Oh My! I Love Shrimp and I Love Greek food - so this is a real winner for me! My birthday is coming up soon - I think this is what I'll have! Thanks for the early birthday gift of this yummy looking recipe! (looks worth getting a year older for!)

Chandy said...

Leigh, I must have been given an opportunity to repent from not visiting you lately... ;-)

Today, we were cleaning out our storage of some excess stuff and my husband came across a box that belonged to the previous owner. In it were two greek vase looking candleholders! I kid you not, the moment I touched it, I thought of you! But since I was in charge of the table and marinating for the Mem Day bbq, I completely forgot to visit until you visited first.

You'll just have to excuse my feeble brain... But this recipe is right up my alley! I was craving shrimp today and almost grabbed some. How funny is that? ;-)

Big hugs, Chandy

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

I love shrimp...and love Greek....so I can't wait to try this out this weekend. Frank is so excited about this recipe. You will be his new best friend. I showed him the pic and his mouth started watering. We have some gulf coast shrimp coming in on Friday with my niece and her hubby. I will have the marinade done....and we will eat it on Sunday. I can't wait! Thanks a million for sharing this one!

SILVER said...

ah....it's divine.