Thursday, May 14, 2009

Tea Cake Cookies! (It's Foodie Friday)


Today is Foodie Friday! It is hosted by Designs by Gollum. Be sure to go by and see all of the participants of this most Tasty day of the week! This week's theme is Train wrecks! Don't worry though, my recipe is no train wreck. In fact, I would guarantee there not be a train wreck using this recipe.

Yesterday on my blog, Tales from Bloggeritaville, I shared my mother's tea set that she had as a little girl. Well, everyone knows one cannot have a proper tea-especially here in the south-without a teacake. I LOVE teacakes. I think because they aren't to sweet. I am not big on sweets (don't congratulate me just yet. I have my vices. They are named Bread.Cheese. and Potatoes) these teacakes are southern perfection.
My dearly departed Aunt Agness made some of the best I have ever had. Fortunate for me, her recipe was not taken to the grave. She shared it with my mother, who in turn shared it with me.
On a hot summer day with a glass of lemonade or an ice cold glass of mint tea (recipe follow), these cookies hit the spot (they are also great in the winter with cider). They are no fail. No worries about any train wrecks with these cookies....some fights over who got how many more than someone else perhaps, but it ends there.


Recipe for buttery tea cakes, traditional cookies made with vanilla and butter.
Cook Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Preparation:
Sift dry ingredients together into a mixing bowl; cut in shortening. Add eggs and vanilla, and mix well. Drop batter by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 425° until edges begin to brown.


Recipe makes about 4 dozen tea cakes and several happy people.
Unless you decide to horde them, and then it will be only one VERY happy person!

MINT TEA
I have ALOT of mint in my yard. ALOT. I love to use in all kinds of dishes, but my favortie is mint tea. I put a bunch of leaves--maybe a cup full into a large stainless steel pot (3 or 4 qt. size) and add water about half full. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let sit covered for 15 minutes and strain. Add sugar as desired. If you like a stronger tea, let sit longer or add more leaves when boiling. Leaves are best if picked early in the morning before the sun dries the dew off the plants. Good served hot or chilled. SO fresh tasting!

15 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Leigh those tea cakes look WONDERFUL, and I can't wait to try the tea, too! Thanks for sharing...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Four Paws and Co said...

Teacakes were my dad's all time favorite cookie & mom's recipe was amazing, BUT I don't know where it is. I'll have to give yours a try. Mom always rolled her dough out & used cookie cutters, so her cookies were always big, round and pale and unbelievable delicious. Thank you for the memories & I'll have to look harder for that recipe! ☺ Diane

Chandy said...

Hi Leigh, those look soooo yummy!

We're in Phoenix now. It's been quite a day! I'll have to email you all the details when I get back on Monday.

Enjoy your Friday, dear lady!

Joyce said...

Thanks for 2 great tried and true recipes.
Joyce

Martha said...

Nothing better than tea and cookies!

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

I haven't made teacakes in a long time...but will have to try these! Happy Foodie Friday! Have a great weekend ~ Susan

susan said...

I love mint tea but my husband says "the tea tastes like toothpaste again"! Thanks for the tea cake recipe.

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

These look yummy, Leigh. I'm going over to have a look at your tea set, too!

A Hint of Home said...

I just made some ice tea. I wish I had one of those great looking cookies.

Anonymous said...

Another great recipe to clip! Leigh I wanted to tell you that I made your recipe for the Cheesy Apple Bacon Brunch that you posted last month. My guests loved it and took the recipe home with them. I appreciated the fact that it was so easy. Thanks so much. your blog is terrific and fun.

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

Your cookies look delicious! Thanks for the recipe on the mint tea....I'll have to try it! Wonder how it would be w/ chocolate mint?

Christi @ A Southern Life said...

I love recipes that are tried and true and handed down (especially when they are Southern):) Thanks for sharing this recipe. I may use it when my mother visits next week!

imjacobsmom said...

I would probably be the one happy person - no actually I would probably share on or two. They sound pretty darn good. I'm add them to my favs. ~ Robyn

Lori E said...

So simple but so yummy. May I have mine with coffee though?

The Bloom Girls said...

I love tea cakes and yours look delicious! Thank you for sharing your aunt's recipe with everyone.

Nola