Thursday, July 21, 2011

Granny's Kicking Potato Salad

Ask and you shall receive. It's something I grew up hearing. And now I am acting on.
So many of you commented on my post regarding "Granny's" home cooking. For many of you, those home cooked vegetables conjured up memories of home, some of you asked for recipes, while a few others wanted to petition to have Granny adopt you. Let me say, it's a running joke in our family that Granny  "takes in all strays". I say that both in a honest but good natured way.
Over the years Granny's home has been home to wayward family members and strangers alike. Granny has a huge heart and doesn't turn anyone away. She also feels a need to feed. I think its a southern way, the way so many of us grew up...Food is Love. And by food, I don't mean what you get in a box. It comes from staples such as flour, sugar, fresh ingredients and a good does of LOVE.


Guess what? You are all in luck...Granny loves all and she shares all...Including her recipes!

Last week, I just couldn't get over the layers of flavor in her Potato Salad. I was a naysayer in the fact I didn't want any part of it....I don't like mayonnaise. I do not anything made with it.
But, Granny knows best and persuaded me to try it.
Guess what...
It was one of my favorite sides of the day!
I went on and on about the "layer of flavor"  and the "kick" and before I left that day Granny packed up the remaining potato salad for me to take home, as well as the recipe! And I am happy to share with you too. While Granny's potatoes came straight from the garden soil, I am sure that the store bought version will suffice just fine.

Granny's Kicking Potato Salad
Makes 6 servings

(Tip cook potatoes from cold water, to hot. Also cook potatoes with their jackets, it will keep them from breaking apart.)

 2 1/2 lb potatoes (red or purple work best for this recipe)
1/2 c mayo
1/2 c sour cream
2 Tbsp horseradish (the secret ingredient that makes this dish "saucy")
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 green onions, sliced
5 cooked bacon slices, crumbled (optional, Granny omitted this for the family vegetarians)

1. Bring potatoes and water to a boil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook 15-20 minutes or until tender; drain well. Cool 15 minutes and slice into wedges.
2. Whisk together mayo and next 5 ingredients into large bowl. Add potatoes, green onions and 3 Tbsp crumbled bacon; gently toss. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Enjoy! I have forwarded all petitions of adoption onto Granny. ;)


1 comment:

Jane said...

Sounds good! I have never added horseradish to potato salad. My sister would LOVE this. That veggie plate looks fabulous, too! (Nothing better that a plate of veggies and some good, skillet cornbread!!!)