Thursday, January 3, 2013

Shrimp & Sausage Sauce Piquant


I am loving the cooler weather. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE me some warm weather, but when I lived in Sarasota Florida, I truly realized then, how much I love and appreciate the seasons. I never wanted to see leaves changing so bad in my life. It's something I will never take for granted. I love each season, with their changes in landscape, weather and moods.
This cooler weather has my family wanting some comfort foods. A good friend of mine shared this recipe with me. Her family is from New Orleans and is quite cultured in true traditional cajun and creole dishes. That is what my family loves. Over the years I have collected many of her recipes and these are some of the ones that my family request to warm their stomachs on cold blustery days.
Last night I fixed Sausage & Shrimp Sauce Piquant. It's real comfort food and a family favorite.

Shrimp & Sausage Sauce Piquant


Ingredients:
1 lb sausage (I cut into coin sized pieces)
1-3 lb shrimp (depending on # of people)
1 lrg can tomato paste
1 small can tomatoes
1 small capful of liquid crab boil
1 Tbsp powder crab boil
1 small onion (Chopped)
1/2 tsp celery seed
½ bell pepper (Chopped)
4 cloves garlic, chopped  (or to your taste)
2 C water
1 cooking spoon flour
1 cooking spoon cooking oil
1 Tbsp
Salt and pepper
2 Tbsp beef boullion
sticky rice (prepared)

Directions

1. Brown sausage in a non-stick skillet.
2. Drain any fat and set aside.
3. Make a roux by browning oil and flour, stirring constantly until the roux is about the color of peanut butter.
4. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and butter
5. Saute.
6. Add cooked sausage, tomatoes, water and seasonings.
7. Cover and simmer at least one hour.
8. Serve over rice.

Now, go.....make some friends.

No comments: