Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Rustic and Wonderful Pasta Primavera

My husband is going out tonight with his coworkers for hot wings and beer. I love those nights because it means I can cook something that I wouldn't ordinarily have a "pass" to cook...meaning something that doesn't contain meat, for supper. Big Daddy is a carnivore through and through, unlike myself. So, tonight on the menu, one of my favorites...Pasta Primavera.

I love this dish because it's rustic and flavorful. Its also so colorful, a kaleidoscope of colors. It's honestly one big circus in a bowl! And it's sooooo easy its ridiculous! I make even simpler by cutting corners sometimes and using bagged vegetables. But if you have it in your garden fresh...even better!


Ingredients


  • 1 bag of baby carrots
  • 1 bag of  fresh broccoli
  • 1 bag of fresh cauliflower
  • 2 yellow squash, cut into thin strips
  • 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced into strips (I then cut those strips in half)
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
  • 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
  • 4 heaping Tbsp minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup olive oil + 1/4 cup reserved for later
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs or herbes de Provence
  • 1 pound ziti noodles
  • 1small container cherry tomatoes, halved (I didn't have any today so those aren't in the picture I took)
  • 1 small tub (or 1/2 cup or more, depending...I like allot) shaved Parmesan
  • *balsamic vinegar

Directions

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. On a large heavy baking sheet, toss all of the vegetables with the oil, salt, pepper, and dried herbs to coat. Transfer half of the vegetable mixture to another heavy large baking sheet and arrange evenly over the baking sheets. Bake until the carrots are tender and the vegetables begin to brown, stirring after the first 10 minutes, about 30-40 minutes total.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, tender but still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain.
Toss the pasta with the vegetable mixtures in a large bowl to combine.  Season the pasta with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in remaining olive oil.  Sprinkle with the Parmesan and serve immediately.

*I LOVE to give my pasta a splash of balsamic vinegar atop prior to eating. YUM!

No comments: